Monday, November 30, 2015

End of The Challenge~ "Freestyle"....

We made it!  Just a couple little snafu's in the month but we are successfully completing the 30 Day Blog Challenge tonight!!  Thirty days of topics was great.  I bet it would be hard to blog every night with no topics...and speaking of that....That's exactly what we're doing tonight!

Tonight's topic:  Anything You Want To Post About....uh.....Multi-Tasking!  That's what I'm going to talk about, because that's what I'm doing right now!

Well, let's see...in my multi-tasking life, I am currently working with my mother on Facebook chat, trying desperately to explain to her how to make a post public vs. just shared to her friends.  She's on an Android tablet and can't figure it out.

Seems every year for Christmas we open the door to frustration by getting either one of my parents an electronic device.  This year we're vowing to go E-free on them!  They want no more electronics and I'm perfectly okay with not taking the time in our visits to train on said devices!  Last year it was ChromeCast, the year before the new iPhone and Android tablet, the year before a new computer...not to mention dad's Nook tablet and holy wow!  Time for this family to break free from the electronics!!!  (Says the girl who just got-and LOVES-her Surface Pro 4)

Along with multi-tasking on Facebook and writing a blog, I'm answering emails that come in on my work email.  I'm also settling up bills with Todd and making online deposits... crazy!  Never a dull moment!

As I do all of this one dog is asleep next to me and one has already gone to bed.  Elise still has her lights on and now it's a mad rush to get this night over with!  I still have a lunch to make (or two) and bags to pack up for tomorrow with all my work stuff.  All this and not even a glass of wine!

I do a lot of multi-tasking...as I think about this, it's part of what I do all day, every day.  There are people who don't function well when multi-tasking and yet I thrive on it.  One thing to do to me just isn't normal.

There are people who disagree though.  They say (I know who 'they' are this time)...

What you call multitasking is really task-switching, says Guy Winch, PhD, author of Emotional First Aid: Practical Strategies for Treating Failure, Rejection, Guilt and Other Everyday Psychological Injuries. “When it comes to attention and productivity, our brains have a finite amount,” he says. 

“It’s like a pie chart, and whatever we’re working on is going to take up the majority of that pie. There’s not a lot left over for other things, with the exception of automatic behaviors like walking or chewing gum.” Moving back and forth between several tasks actually wastes productivity, he says, because your attention is expended on the act of switching gears—plus, you never get fully “in the zone” for either activity.

I can understand parts of this but it's how I've always worked so I don't know if I'm just used to it or if I truly just have no focus at all!?  Hmmm...some might say I just have no focus!

That same article also says I could have memory issues.  If you ask Todd, he'll tell you I remember every thing...things that were said, things that were done, what he buys at Publix without me.... I just have an odd memory sense....

So far I've seen no memory issues, but I certainly don't want to discover any either!!

Tell me about you---do you multi-task or do you do one task until it's complete and move on to the next?


Until Next Time~~

No comments:

Post a Comment